How to set up Git / github in windows
by Adrian Mejia in July 21, 2011 and last update was in September 19, 2011
Installing Git in Windows is not as straight forward as in a *nix machine like Linux and Mac. This guide help you to get started quickly.
You will need the following tools:
- Putty: download latest version here.
- TortoiseGit: download the latest version here. (e.g. Tortoisegit-126.96.36.199-32bit.msi)
- msysgit: As today the latest version (e.g. Git-1.7.6-preview20110708.exe)
Setting up Putty
- Unzip the folder.
- Generate the ssh key using the PUTTYGEN.EXE from the putty folder. After genete it, click "save private key" to save the *.ppk
Setting up Git / TortoiseGIT on Windows
- Install msysgit
- Install TortoiseGit
- Config TortoiseGit: do right click and in the contextual menu: TortoiseGit -> Settings -> Git -> config (set your name and password)
- Set remote git server: Settings -> Git -> Remote. Fill it up with your Git server info (e.g. Github, Google code, ...)
how-to, git, github